Peachtree Park was developed in three stages, the first being the Peachtree Highlands neighborhood, platted in 1915, which encompasses Arc Way, Highland Drive, Martina Drive and Park Circle. The first house built in Peachtree Park stood at 701 Martina Drive. It was built as a summer house and consisted of one room and a screened porch. Sadly, it was neglected and torn down for the current house standing at that address. The next two oldest houses in the neighborhood are 14 Highland Drive and 10 Arc Way, both built in 1920.
The neighborhood was originally platted for company housing for railroad workers who worked at a railroad switching station at what is now East Paces Ferry and Lenox Road. What makes this section of the neighborhood distinctive is its curvilinear streets. The street formation is in sharp contrast to the rectangular lots found in most neighborhoods of the era, such as those in Midtown. It is because of the street configuration of this section, and the fact that it was built for working class residents, this section has been designated a National Historic Landmark.
The next phase of the neighborhood is East Paces Ferry, Peachtree Drive, Greenview Avenue and Dale Drive up to the curve. These homes were built between 1940 and 1950, and were larger and more substantially built than Peachtree Highlands. While Peachtree Highlands was known as a Trolley neighborhood because of the proximity of the Peachtree Trolley, the newer part of Peachtree Park was built with garages to assuage the gusto for the growing automobile culture. Haas and Dodd, the developers of this part of our neighborhood even fancied two story houses, which can be found at the Piedmont end of Peachtree Drive, but they soon discovered that people didn’t like the heat of the second floor during the summer months, so the developers went back to one story homes.